Monday, August 27, 2007

Techno Cat!

I managed to catch 881 this weekend. I don't have time to write too much about it because I have my last paper in 3 days and i am spending more time on Facebook than studying...very jialat. Anyway...
....the movie appealed to my innate love of corniness. Much of the humour is super corny and the orbitness / tackyness of the costumes and songs are just priceless. Probably won't appeal to artsy chi-chi types who like watching silent movies or war movies from Uzbekistan, but i am also very orbit at heart so i lurved it. The show has also piqued my interest in old hokkien songs and I have learnt how to use a new word 'techno'. Thought the script was good and was very impressed with Royston Tan who wrote AND directed. If you don't understand Hokkien, alot of the fun is lost, because i think the subtitles don't do justice to hokkien words. But CH, who is the most jiak kentang person i know, managed to follow and enjoy, probably because a good part of the show speaks to you in music and the emotions/issues conveyed were essentially simple and universal.

Show is on the whole great stuff, corny in parts, but on the whole a local film i am proud of. Bring tissue - it's a weepie.
I am now also inspired to learn hokkien songs - who can teach me?

No comments: