Monday, June 4, 2007

First Stop - Paradise

Our first stop was Venice. We got there at night and headed straight for our hotel so didn't see anything at all. But once the darkness lifted, we realised that Venice has a sort of mystical atmosphere about it. It's almost as if it's untouched by the 'real world' and you could still imagine Othello throwing a hissy fit round the corner over a bloody hanky. Of course the place is a tourist trap from end to end, but within the narrow winding streets, you can still find a quiet corner from which to enjoy the city and all its pretty longkangs.



(Rialto Bridge - taken whilst we were taking a vaporetti ride, that's like a local water taxi service which you have to use to cross the longkangs)


(Gondoliers taking tourists for a ride)

Salmon pink is a really popular colour for the buildings in Italy. This was something we noticed after our first day in Venice.




This made me realise that if Jey wore his salmon pink shirt in Venice he would be the invisible man! Haha!

The main attraction in Venice is St Mark's Square and St Mark's Basilica, home of the patron saint of Venice. The Basilica is very grand, very pretty...during this time we had not yet OD-ed on pretty churches.




St Mark's Square is unfortunately also home to Japanest tourists and pigeons. At least one can be chased away quite easily...



On an irrelevant aside note, a pigeon shat in my hand in Venice. I was walking along the street with a map in my hand, when I suddenly felt something wet and warm on my palm which was outstretched holding the map. I looked up and saw a fat stupid pigeon sitting on the street lamp directly above. It's supposed to bring you good luck but honestly I think that's really just cold comfort talk for having warm pigeon shit in your hand.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it was hot hot hot. Which is why I am squinting like a sotong in the picture above.
Thanks to the heat, the gelato stalls and fruit stalls were also out in full force.

(pretty colours eh? Lucky I managed to get a shot without flies)

Two of us....squinting like sotongs.



Oh, and tonight I'm watching the Merchant of Venice at Shakespeare's Globe at London Bridge....:)

(to be continued...)

No comments: